Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Harvest time.



My job today was to help with the corn harvest. Sweet corn harvest, that is. Thankfully we had storms last night, and although we didn't have much rain, it did cool down the air a bit. Grandpa was in charge of choosing the corn from the patch, and then cutting down the stalks to feed to the dry cows. He then sat on the newly painted bench outside the screen porch and shucked them.



After Grandpa had shucked the corn I had the "tedious" job of making sure all of the corn silk was off. Grandma got impatient at the beginning because we weren't working fast enough, so she came and helped too.

When we had cleaned up the corn well enough I would go in and help grandma in the kitchen. Grandma was in charge of cleaning the corn, and then preparing it for freezing. She cut the corn off the cob, and then it was my job to put 4 tablespoons of corn in the plastic sack and double bag it for the freezer. We were able to get their 52 sacks (enough to have corn 1x per week), plus a few for me to take home.

Tomorrow I'll be back to painting. I asked Grandpa today what else was on the "To Do" list...he says its a secret! I think it will involve some weeding! ;)

No comments: