Monday, July 31, 2006

I'm an Artist!

Okay, well, maybe not so much... I'm a painter, that's true...but, I'm spending my time painting my grandparent's house and garage. I've spent the first week of my stay in Nebraska painting my grandmother's kitchen a new cream color...I've painted the trim on the garage, and the screen house a nice maroon color. Tomorrow I'll paint the door of the screen house and the picnic table. After that I'm not sure what will be keeping me busy. I'm sure something will come along.

I've been trying to keep the flowers alive that Mom, Heidi and Tim H. planted at the beginning of the summer. In this severe heat, it has been a hard task. We've lost only a few plants, surprisingly. I really need to weed, as they have sprung up in places that were clear not too long ago.

The gardens are looking good. We've been eating lots of Grandpa's good sweet corn each day. Grandpa has been picking some of the peaches off of the tree before the birds completely demolish them. Grandma has been preparing my favorite dessert with them: fresh peaches with good cream from the cows. YUM!!!! There might not be many pickles to eat this year though...Tim J.'s have been taken over by the squash, and Grandpa/Grandma's are just now growing little cukes. There aren't many beans either on account of the rabbits...hopefully they've had their fill and we will get some now.

Tim J. just got done with the second round of irrigating this weekend. We are praying for rain for the corn and also the gardens. It is very dusty around here and when you water, the water just dries up in a very short amount of time. Usually it cools off in the evenings (unlike in KS), but the last evenings have been just as warm as during the days. Thankfully the cows haven't been too stressed by it and are still giving a good amount of milk.


No comments: