Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Sugar, Spice and Everything Nice


Today is a cooler day, in the 80s. With the nice shade trees on the farm it was possible to stay cool most of the time I was working today. I finished painting in the screen house, and also painted the picnic table and another bench. I'm sure that I'll be able to complete it this afternoon. Then I'll be able to do whatever else Grandpa has on his list.

Grandma baked bread this morning--whole wheat loaf and rolls, plus cinnamon rolls for Sundays. She makes the best bread! After lunch I watched her roll out the dough and spread on the butter and cinnamon sugar. She's made them for so many years, she has it down to an art form! Mine don't look like hers yet, but maybe if I practiced more often they would! The baking smells coming out of the house this morning made it hard to concentrate on my work!

Grandma’s Cinnamon Rolls

2 2/3 cup milk, scalded
2/3 cup shortening (lard)
1 cup sugar
1 ½ tsp. salt
2 eggs
2 pkgs. Yeast (2 scant TBSP)
¼ cup warm water to dissolve yeast in
8 cups flour

Scald milk. Add shortening to milk and melt. Allow milk to cool. Put sugar, and salt in the mixing bowl. Add milk, yeast mixture and eggs to bowl and mix well. Add flour in and allow to rise until doubled. Roll out ½ of dough and spread with soft butter and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Roll and cut. Allow to rise again, until doubled. Bake at 350 degrees for at least 20 min. Makes approximately 40 small rolls.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The pictures are great. Maybe you could include a picture of the kitten. That might melt your dad's heart. He laughed out loud when I told him about your idea of a pet rabbit.

Mom