Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Recent happenings in pictures

I wrote about our recent snow storms, but hadn't had a chance to upload these pics. My thinking frog was a bit confused in the rapid changes of weather lately, I think!



MCC sale was last weekend. Freak snow storm on Friday, and a beautiful day on Saturday. New additions to the sale this year were a children's auction--complete with a clown auctioneer, and our friend Whitney! Which one is Whitney though?











We love you Whitney! :)

My friend Julie's birthday was yesterday. She's addicted to two things: chocolate and Coca-Cola, so I decided to mix the two together for her gift. Quinn was in charge of cooking last night, but I volunteered to bring a cake. Some of you know that I used to work in a chocolate shop. It's been awhile since I've spent time doing "fun" work like chocolate work, but I figured this was the perfect excuse to play! First I heated some white chocolate and colored it Coca-Cola red. Luckily, I had purchased some molds from the lady I worked for in college, and I happened to have some coke bottles in the mix.



I first started on the detail work on the coke bottles, inlaying the red chocolate. Once that had set, I melted milk chocolate and poured it on top. Unfortunately, I don't have all the tools that I worked with at the shop, so they weren't perfect, but...I did the best I could! :)


Once that was done, I drew out the Coca-Cola lable on parchment paper. I then outlined the red chocolate on the parchment paper, making sure it was thick enough, so that it wouldn't break when I tried to take it off the paper. All those loop-d-loops make it pretty difficult!


The final product--2 layers of Devil's food cake, chocolate fudge frosting, Coca-Cola label, with a large Coke bottle on top, and 8 mini Coke bottles on the bottom. Once I got it all together, I headed out to Julie and Quinn's (they live out by the County Lake). Unfortunately, the cake stand toppled over midway there. I was ready to cry! All that hard work! Thankfully, I was able to repair the cake (for the most part, at least) before Julie saw it.







Pictures from tonight (4/25/2007) Enjoying good fellowship, and home-made icecream after a fantastic meal at Arlin and Maretta's house.

Adam is really starting to scoot around by army crawling on the floor, and is able to walk when holding on to things around him. He is growing up so fast!






3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for all the fun pictures. I'd forgotten you'd worked in a chocolate shop--wondered how you did Coke bottles. Cute cake (this was before the spill? I didn't know Whitney was at the sale.

Anonymous said...

Oh, yeah, that was from Maretta

Anonymous said...

First of all, your hair is SO cute. And second of all, I am lusting over that cake!!