Sunday, October 21, 2007

Tap the Wisdom of the Body

The past two weekends, I've made the long trip to Kansas City for 2 different conferences. Last weekend I went to a conference on Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, while this weekend I went to a conference on Headaches and Massage. One was definitely better than the other, but I have to say that I was able to come away from both having learned something(or things).

Of the many new things I learned, I also was reminded of how wonderfully made we are, and that our bodies are wiser than we realize. Our health and well being are two of God's many gifts to us. Our bodies are so amazing that they are able to let us know what we need, while being attuned to our surroundings.

Sometimes we lose sight of the physical signals that our bodies send us. Too often I find myself pushing myself to the extreme: not taking the time to rest when I am upset, even when I know that sleep will give the chance to "hash it out" and awake with a new perspective. If I push myself too hard, illness makes me stop to reexamine my actions!

The body is matter; but it is God's creation. When it is neglected or scoffed at, God himself is insulted. --Michel Quoist

Our bodies are "fearfully and wonderfully made"--an intuitive instrument that can instruct with wisdom, if we only take the time to PAUSE and listen.

One way of listening to our bodies is to take the time to "pamper" ourselves and receive the gift of massage. People that range from athletes to dancers, overstressed homemakers to busy executives (and many others) have discovered the benefits of therapeutic massage. Not only can you relieve stress or soothe sore muscles, you can also enhance your mental and emotional well-being.

Another of the things that I was reminded of this weekend, is that massage is actually an investment in your health. Setting aside the 1/2 hour or hour to have a massage is so much more enjoyable (at least for me!) than swallowing the latest "miracle" drug (and with far less side effects!) And I'd much rather pay for a massage than the pharmacist!

Okay, I've rambled now and been on my soap box. Please forgive me! :) I'm not necessarily trying to drum up business by this posting (although I always welcome new clients! :)), but I do feel that the society that we live in pushes us to the limits of what we are capable of, and that in the process we often forget what it is like for us to feel good and "whole". Massage is one of the ways that I've been able to get back in touch with what my body is feeling, and what it is supposed to be feeling--not the way my body feels as a reaction to what is going on in my life.

"Dear friend, I am praying that all is well with you and that your body is as healthy as I know your soul is." 3 John 2

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If I could I would be a faithful client of yours! I love massages but just haven't budgeted for them yet. Maybe one day!

Great to see you this weekend. :)