Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Figuring things out

"Trust God from the bottom of your heart;
don't try to figure out everything on your own.
Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go."
Proverbs 3:5-6 The Message
Since at times during this school year I've been a bit down (and really who doesn't have those times occasionally!?!), I have made a flip book of inspirational sayings and scripture passages that is propped up on my desk. Each morning I turn it and read a fresh page. This is the quote that met me this morning, and it amazed me at how applicable it is concerning my thoughts today.
Sometimes I find it hard to trust anyone other than myself. This is not because I don't value other people and their influence in my life, but sometimes it is just important for things to be done "my way". Trusting my friends, my coworkers, is something that I daily remind myself is important. As a boss, I remind myself to choose my battles and examine what is truly important to me before confronting someone who hasn't done the work exactly as I have asked...
I am also constantly evaluating where I am and what I'm doing with my life. This is not because I'm unhappy in Marion, but because I feel that I need to be open to change and the direction God wants me to go in. Trusting God that I am where I am supposed to be, and in the relationships I should be are things that contribute to my decisions. I've never "heard" God's voice as some people claim, but I do know that I've had doors opened for me, and it is in those instances that I think that God is leading.
Even though I know that God should be in control of my decisions, it is incredibly difficult for me to give up control. My "wants" are too often confused with my "needs", and depending on the circumstances my patience sometimes wears thin.
Lord, help me to trust in you, and be open to the directions you are guiding me. Help me to discern the things that should be of importance, and those that I should just let go. Give me the wisdom and words so that my interactions with others can be meaningful. Let me be quiet and still, so that I notice the changes you are trying to make in my life.

No comments: