Friday, March 23, 2007

The End is Near

My days of bliss are drawing to an end...yes, in the next few days my spring break will end. My break has been jam-packed with activities, but I've enjoyed every minute of it. I still have Sat. and Sun. before I head back, but on Monday I start my "normal" activities again.



Wed. I had my dreaded neurologist appointment. It went okay, I suppose, but I was pretty grouchy with the dr. after he made me wait for over an hour in an examination room before he decided to show up (this after making me move my appt. to an earlier time so that it would be more convenient to him!). He's given me two prescriptions: Indomethacin (for chronic pain, should give me a 10 day break from headaches) and Nortriptyline (for headache prevention). I'm not wild about being back on drugs, but I suppose I should give this dr. a fair shot and at least try to do what he is recommending. Between my gritchiness over him being late and inconsiderate, he also heard about how much I distrust doctors who just want to put me on medication, which in turn causes more problems. I'm hoping he heard everything I was saying...

Afterwards, I headed back for Marion and went to Paige and Taylor's "friend" party in the park. Their birthday is on Monday, so I'll end up giving them their gifts then. I only stayed for part of the party, since it was really for little girls! :) I headed out to Julie and Quinn's, and we worked on our garden a bit more. Really, a whole lot more! Quinn has a friend who was getting rid of several railroad ties, so we went and moved the ones we wanted onto a trailer, and moved the others into a neat pile so that they were easier to use later. We took them back to Julie and Quinn's and then moved them to form a 9x18 garden annex for our lettuce, spinach, herbs, garlic and winter onions.




Thursday I spent most of the day at home. It was nice to be able to nap a little in the morning, plus catch up with Heidi and Tim by phone and also chat with Ruth Kreider. Ruth and I had a great conversation about the definition of "home" and what it means to each of us. She has been asked to write an article for a German women's group on what it means to be a person in a strange land. Lots of things to think about for me...possibly will become the foundation of a future blog post... In the afternoon I went out to Julie and Quinn's and finished getting things in the gardens: broccoli, cauliflower, gladiolas, etc... We still have lots of stuff to plant, but we need to wait a couple more weeks so that nothing is killed by frost.

Today I ran to Hillsboro with Julie to pick up some needed supplies for our project of the day. Our project for today was to begin the process of turning the chicken house into our garden shed. Another one of Quinn's friends, Dick, has donated one of his old buildings to our cause, and so we went to his land to begin jacking up the building to ready it to move to Julie and Quinn's. Moving a building is something I never anticipated learning how to do! After getting a portion of it off the concrete that anchors it, we headed back to Julie and Quinn's. The actually moving of the new building will most likely happen tomorrow as we have to wait for Dick to clean all of his junk out of it. Once we were back we took down the chicken pen, and then levered the current chicken building up on cylindrical tubes so that we could roll it to a different location. We then built a new, temporary, fence around the building to keep the chickens safe at night. A lot of work for something that will be coming down again tomorrow.

Here are some of the pictures of the baby chicks. They are already starting to get their new feathers, and are losing their "cute", "baby" fuzz look. It will be several months before they can start laying, and then they will only be pullet eggs. In the meantime, the chickens that they are destined to replace have decided to start laying again. It's almost as if they know, and now need to prove their worth. I've really been benefiting from this, Julie and Quinn have sent me home with 3 dozen eggs (2 of which I shared with Mom and Dad); and there are several dozen more that they tried to send me home with today. I'll have to start cooking and baking more, I guess. Something I hate to do! ;)

No comments: