Thursday, March 15, 2007

Childhood Memories

Well, one of the downsides of living in the same small town you lived in when you were a child, is that you see the familiar landmarks of your childhood memories as they change and disappear. One of those major landmarks (at least for me) is being torn down this week. The Marion public swimming pool is slowly, but surely, being torn apart and taken out of the space that it has occupied for decades. Sometime next school year there will be a new indoor pool and gym complex occupying the same spot. While I'm excited about the new pool and gym facilities, it is also hard for me to see the old pool as it is demolished. Our family spent so many summer evenings together at Family Swim time; it was the place I first learned how to swim, where my first official swimming lessons took place, and where I took my fateful dive off the 10 foot board. As painful as that dive ended up being, it is almost as painful watching the pool being taken apart chunk by chunk and disappearing. Silly, I know!

No comments: