Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Recovery at Mom and Dad's

I apologize in advance for any incomplete sentences and misspellings...My eyes are very droopy and I'm ready to rest for awhile. The pain medication they have me on is some good stuff! :)

First, thank you to all of you for your prayers and well wishes. It was evident that there are many people out there who care for me, and I appreciate your love very much.

Monday morning I checked in to Newton Medical Center at 6:00. I was to have an incision on the right side of the neck, as this was where the larger part of the tumor was. The plan was that the larger portion of tumor would be taken out, as well as one lobe of the thyroid. The tumor would be tested to see whether it was malignant. If it did turn out to be malignant, Dr. Cranston planned on going back in later that day, or sometime today to get the rest of the thyroid and tumor. That was the plan, although it was not how the surgery actually went.

He did start on the right side, but once he got in there he found that the left lobe of the thyroid was full of nodules, and that there was no longer any healthy part of the thyroid. Since my thyroid levels have always come back within the "normal" range, or right on the edge of what is acceptable, I am very confused. Even though I have many of the symptoms of hypothyroidism; there have been some drs. that have inferred that it was all in my head. I know differently now. Dr. Cranston said that I had the worst case of thyroiditis that he had ever seen; and that he and the pathologist have spent plenty of time looking at my thyroid under the microscope in wonder. He took the left side of the thyroid as well. This means that I have a larger incision (it goes across the entire front of my neck), and has left me feeling a bit like what I would think the headless horseman to feel--like I could detach my head and carry it at my side. Dr. Cranston said that I would have had to have another surgery at a later date to take the left side of the thyroid, so he took it all at once.

The path report is still not back for the tumor. Dr. Cranston told me originally that we would know one way or another by Monday afternoon. This then turned into Tuesday morning, then Tuesday afternoon, and I was told today when I was being dismissed that he hopes to have it to me by tomorrow morning. The dr. said that he was taking "deeper cuts" of the tumor each time he was sending it off, which is leaving me feeling a bit unsettled. He did say that during the surgery he was able to check my lymph nodes, as well as the parathyroids, and that they seemed "clean". He feels that the tumor will most likely come back benign, but did say that I couldn't hold him to that if it turns out differently.

For those of you who don't know, the thyroid is a butterfly shaped gland in your neck. It is located where the Adam's apple is on a man. The thyroid is in charge of regulating metabolism, and the absorption of calcium, among many other things. Since I no longer have a thyroid, I will need to be on thyroid supplement for the rest of my life (I had already been on it for several years; although I will be switching to Armour now instead of taking the synthetic); as well as taking calcium supplements three times a day.

While there are still unknowns, I am feeling better about some things. One of the things I was most concerned about was whether my vocal chords would be harmed--a big risk for this surgery. This was very disturbing for me, since I am a teacher and make a living using my voice. Vocal music is also a large part of my life, and I was scared that I was going to have to give that up. As I was coming to I overheard a conversation between the surgeon and the anesthesiologist--there was very real concern that they had nicked my vocal chords, and were uncertain about whether I would be able to talk. While I haven't tried singing yet (and most likely won't be attempting that for awhile); I do know that I'm able to speak. It is very uncomfortable at this point, but I know that this will get better. I hope that my singing voice has been left intact as well.

I had very good care at Newton Medical Center, and I'm thankful for the people who took care of me over the past several days. They all took the time to answer questions, give me extra bag baths and hair washing, as well as try to make me comfortable in any way they could.

As well as the pain I feel at the incision area; my throat hurts anytime I swallow or cough. I also seem to be allergic to latex--something I only recently found out. My entire body itches, and I've got rashes in all the areas that had tape or dressings that were latex. I'm hopeful that this will go away in the next few days.

I return to see Dr. Cranston on Friday to see whether he can remove the sutures.

Okay, it's time for me to drift off. Thank you again to all of you!

Love,
Erica

7 comments:

Tim and Heidi Huber said...

We love you Gaga! Keep us updated as we are so far away. We miss you and wish you a speedy recovery. We LOVE YOU so much!SMOOCHES from the Hubers

Daniel Hershberger said...

This is Gustav's babysitter Nicole and I wish you a speedy recovery and welcome you to the no thyroid club! Mine is gone via the radioactive cocktail and I empathize with the helpless feeling of Drs telling you its all in your head. Things do get better. My cousin had the surgery and her scar is almost non-existent today. Im thankful they got that tumor out for you.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for all the information! Keep us updated. I've been thinking about you!

Cranefarm said...

It sounds like you have a good surgeon who made some wise decisions. We've been praying for you. Let us know when you have more results. Love you lots-T&T

Gobigrev said...

I'm sure you'll be "voicing" your thoughts more and more as you rest and heal, Erica! We love you.

huberloja@hotmail.com said...

It's good to hear that you are in recovery. We have been thinking of you. Jay is also in the thyroid-less club. A radioactive pill delivered in a heavily lined pill-bottle (it must have weighed at least 5 pounds) zapped his some 20 years ago. He was left alone in an xray room to swallow it while everyone else went for cover. He was then told to lay still for 2 hours while a "special beam" aimed at his thyroid. I was expecting him to be glowing in the dark, but that didn't happen.
Rest & recover now.

PhunkyBS said...

interesting. Did your Dr ever figure out how your blood results were "normal" even though your Thyroid was obviously sick???

I feel like I have a thyroid problem too, but my initial results come out normal so no further testing is usually done. When further testing is done, those apparently come back normal too.

I'm going to have to do some research.....