Saturday, November 08, 2008

More Lab Results

This has been a full week for me! While I was home recuperating with Mom and Dad I got some other lab results back as well. About one month ago I took at test that was looking for gluten sensitivities. The lab company emailed me back and I test positive for celiac disease.

I've found a lot of research regarding migraines and gluten intolerance, and so originally this was why I wanted to get the testing done. Since then I've found a lot more research that indicates gluten intolerance and thyroid problem are linked. So, it seems that gluten has caused me numerous problems. As troublesome as it is right now, I'm excited about the possibilities of NO MORE MIGRAINES!!!

While this will involve an overhaul of my diet and lifestyle, I know I am more fortunate than others. I am a cook and baker, and I understand what goes into food. I will be better able to identify foods that will be problems for me and avoid them. Since I am familiar with the kitchen, I know that I will be able to come up with new ways of creating things I already love. I've discovered a wonderful company "Pamela's Products" that has a wonderful bread mix that can be made into loaves, pizza crust, foccacia, hamburger buns, bagels...etc... Actually everything I've tried from her company is wonderful--cake mixes, cookies, etc... Knowing that, I know that I will still be able to celebrate with my family and friends all the momentous occasions that life is full of. The thing I'm mourning the most right now is beer! I don't drink very often, but I do enjoy the flavors of the areas I visit when I travel. I'm sure I'll be fine though, and find suitable alternatives.

5 comments:

Cranefarm said...

I've known some people with Celiac disease but hadn't known the connection with migraines. I thought it was primarily intestinal problems. You'll have to educate us on what you can eat. I was looking at lists but didn't see oats or oatmeal on any of the lists. I thought spelt was ok, but the NIH/NLM website had it connected to wheat. I guess I'll have to study more.

Anonymous said...

My father-in-law has Celiac disease. He calls it "silly-ass" disease. :)

Also, here is a great blog that you should check out: http://glutenfreegirl.blogspot.com/

PhunkyBS said...

oats and oatmeal are suggested to be avoided by those with celiac disease, because they are often processed in the same place wheat and other gluten foods are. Its not necessarily the oat itself, but the possibility of contamination of wheat.

SchwesterGaga said...

Kat--yes, I've been reading that blog for several years already. She's a very good food writer,and I love reading her writing style. Thanks! :)

SchwesterGaga said...

Brianne, I had run across the information too, that oats themselves are gluten free, but because of years and years of planting next to wheat crops, the oats have been cross contaminated. Thanks for sharing! I appreciate anything people send my way while I'm changing my life this drastically!