Saturday, April 19, 2008

Saying "yes" to what you love

Charles Lindbergh was the first to fly the Atlantic solo and nonstop. He dreamed of extending the boundaries of flight. When he landed his plane, the Spirit of St. Louis, outside Paris on May 21, 1927, he became a hero. He did not fly for the reward of being well known, and the adulation of many, but because he simply loved to fly.

"It is the greatest shot of adrenaline to be doing what you've wanted to do so badly. You almost feel like you could fly without the plane."--Charles Lindbergh

When you do something you love, it can feel like flying. It's been shown that people that immerse themselves in something they love are more relaxed, more creative, and better able to cope with the demands that life brings.

Today I drove to Wichita for a Mennonite Women's Retreat. I wasn't there as a participant, but rather I was one of the workers. I gave chair massages to 14 different people (our group gave 55 massages total!) in the space of 2 1/2 hours. While there were many people I didn't know, I did know several, and it was a good opportunity for me to catch up with them. One of them asked me what my favorite thing about massage is. It was an easy answer for me, and one that did not require much thought.

While I have always wanted to study massage, it quickly became evident to me once I had begun, that I had made the right decision. One of my first massage events that I worked showed me that this was what I was meant to do (in addition to my teaching! :) I love that part of my life too, at least most of the time!). I had had a particularly stressful week at school, and had taken a personal day to go to another school district and give massages as a Teacher Appreciation day from the local parent organization (wouldn't it be great if ALL schools did that!)... As I drove to the town, my mind was consumed with the chaos that defines MES, and the politics that go on in any school district. Even though this was technically a personal day, I was anticipating a day of work, and knew it would probably feel like a big truck had run over me by the end of it all. I would return to work the next day, feeling more run down than when I had left.

Or so I thought. The day turned out to be one of the best days I have ever experienced!

My answer to the question, "What is the thing you like best about massage?" is this... I am at complete peace when I do massage. My mind quiets itself (it will still be sorting things out, but not dwelling on things), my body flows into a routine, I go to a different place... My SOUL is at peace.

Massage can be, and often is hard work. My life is busy, and at times feels like I'm over committed (okay, I KNOW I'm over committed!). I am very tired after a day of massage, and especially the days I work at school, and then work in the evening. But even though I know that I will be physically tired at the end of the day, I'm doing something I love, and in a way renewing a part of myself. My body will be tired, but I'm also allowing myself to fly....

I'm making time right now to do something I've always wanted to. I encourage you to make time in your busy schedule to do the things you love, or try something new that you THINK you'll love.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know how you feel.

And also...you have no idea how much I wish you lived near me!

mphoelscher said...

You are over-committed. Do I need to quit my job and move to Marion to be your personal secretary, answer your phone and say, "NO" to people??? (again, like how we joked when we were roommates? :)