Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Results

After several hours working for my parents today (I stained trim and closet doors, as well as did some painting in their guest room in preparation for putting wallpaper up in a few days) I went to a follow-up appointment with Dr. Herbel this afternoon.

Since the last time I wrote about all of this, I have tried to focus on the many other parts that my life consists of, in an attempt not to get as upset about it all. As today got closer and closer, it was harder for me not to think about it and let the worry creep in.

My doctor appointment today brought a few more answers, but also a new round of questions. Polycystic Ovary Syndrome still seems to be where we're heading for a diagnosis, but since it is a syndrome, instead of a disease, there is no test that says "yes, you have it" or "no, you don't". I have many of the symptoms, and the diagnosis "fits".

After the last visit, Dr. Herbel ordered another round of tests, plus a sonogram. The sonogram shows that I have cysts on both of my ovaries. And one of the lab tests shows that I have elevated prolactin levels. Elevated prolactin could indicate that my thyroid level is still not regulated as well as it should be (although, it is testing in the "normal" range right now), or it could mean that I have a tumor on my pituitary gland.

Dr. Herbel has adjusted my thyroid medication again, as well as prescribed two more medications to take. I'll be starting Metformin and Spironolactone in the coming days, and I'm hoping that these will help alleviate some of nasty symptoms I'm suffering from. I'll have more blood work in 7 weeks, and then go back for another appointment in 8 weeks.

I leave on the 15th to go to Germany to visit Heidi, Tim and Gustav. We'll be packing up their belongings, saying goodbyes, and then doing some traveling in Sweden. Some of these drugs have some side effects, and so I'm a little worried about it all. I'm sure that it will all end up being ok, and that I'm worrying for nothing... What I'm actually most worried about is being able to eat gluten free as much as possible while traveling. I've decided that all I can do is avoid what I can, and there may be times that it is unavoidable and I will eat gluten because there are no other options. I've also decided that there are a few things that I WILL eat while I'm there--like REAL pizza, wiener schnitzel, etc... I'll have to pack some extra migraine drugs...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you're going to Germany. You'll be a big help. Thanks for the update on your appts. We know better how to pray for you, which we do regularly. A&M P.S. We have a stack of egg cartons for you again. Come by sometime.

John and Chris Buller said...

Thanks for your help yesterday. We're always blessed by your presence. Your health issues are a big concern to us, but we feel positive about the relationship you have with your new doctor. We'll hope that the new medications alleviate your symptoms, and that you'll be lucky and not suffer unpleasant side-effects. Mom

Cranefarm said...

Thanks for all of the conversations we've had lately. We continue to pray for your health and happiness-you are a very special person. T & T