Saturday, August 02, 2008

The name game





Well, I've got two new members of my household. I'm hoping you can help me out, since they came without names. Meet ___________ and __________. They were given to me by a friend that I teach with. Originally they were Easter presents for her two children, but the children no longer want to take care of them, and never have played with them. We are unsure of whether they are male or female, but they are both the same sex, as they are several years old, and have not made babies together during that time. Heidi and I had a rabbit when we were younger, and although we too were reluctant to take care of it, we did love to play with it. The rabbits came with their own hutch, which is a vast improvement over the cage Heidi and I had for ours. No more changing soggy newspaper! Yippee!! It's a beast to move though, so that will be interesting whenever I move away from Marion. Please submit any suggestions for names. I also welcome any visits, from children of all ages who would like to pet and play with rabbits! :)

This is the last week before I go back to school on Friday. I gave one massage today, and then came home to clean up the house (did not get very far on this) and take a nap. I also dealt with some of the produce that has been sitting on my counter, and played with the rabbits for awhile. They had their first hop around my yard, which I'm sure is a new experience for them. I doubt they ever got out of the hutch with the former owners. By the end, they were much more willing for me to pet them than when we started. The weather around here is 100+ (I think it was 103.7 on my thermometer when I was outside with the rabbits), so I made sure to give them some air conditioning (frozen water bottles that they can lay against). The ice melted fast in this weather, so I'll have to freeze additional bottles. Thankfully we positioned the hutch so the sun won't be beating in during the hottest point in the day.

The next few days I'm planning on just staying home and relaxing. I'm not telling any of my friend around here that though, as they are all good at coming up with activities for me. Don't get me wrong, I love my friends dearly, and do like to help them out and spend time with them, but I need a little time just for myself before school starts. I've got a stack of magazines, and books that I've been meaning to read all summer, as well as my house to get clean before the rush of the school year. I do have a day planned to spend time with Kym, since I rarely see her once school starts. We're planning on watching Pride and Prejudice, making bread, painting our toenails and just having fun in general.

My bathroom is completed, which brings me much joy! :) It's such a relief to have a working toilet, as well as nice new linoleum. It feels so much cleaner! I'm still waiting on a new light fixture, as they removed the old one, but overall I'm thrilled!

I'm also posting some pictures of last weekend. I spent Saturday smoking chickens (12 in all) with my father. Mom spent Sat. figuring out her new computer and internet connections, while Dad spent time helping Ken B. in the kitchen with the new cupboards and counter top. It was HOT, but we had a good time together. Next weekend I'll be smoking again, this time with beef, a few chickens, and hopefully a salmon. We haven't tried to smoke salmon before, but I'm eager to try. Sunday I sing in church, and have invited several Marion friends (as well as Mom and Dad) to come and hear me. I'm trying to figure out what to serve them all for lunch. I'm thinking chicken mole, with salad and spicy rice. It has to be something I can prepare before and just heat up, especially since I will be gone all day on Sat. and won't be able to prepare much.



8 comments:

acbuller said...

Powder and Puff?

Anonymous said...

I think it's great dark comedy whenever people name their goldfish "Sushi" and "Sashimi." And since you mention cooking in this same post, maybe they should be named something related to bunny consumption, like "Fryer" and "Roaster."

Anonymous said...

I think it's great dark comedy when people name their goldfish "Sushi" and "Sashimi." I think you should continue the trendiness and name them after gourmet rabbit terms, like "Roaster" and "Fryer."

Tim and Heidi Huber said...

Clive and Betsy, no question about it.

Cranefarm said...

Hmmm, they look a little black and white to me at first glance. Maybe one should be called cowabunny (like cowabunga). Please no groans-it just popped into my head and I had to share my thoughts.

Tim and Heidi Huber said...

I will try this again, since I had the first comment, but Erica didn't let it be posted. Apparently it was too crude?
Anyway, I think the only possible names these rabbits can inherit are Betsy and Clive. Punkt.

Tim and Heidi Huber said...

Since I was the first person to comment on this blog, I should be the first person to have a suggestion, but Erica apparently thought my suggestion was too crude? Anyway, there is no other choice, but for the rabbits to inherit the names Betsy and Clive.

kym said...

I think your bunnies should be named Basil and Sage!