Thursday, July 03, 2008

"Dirty 3rd" in the "Dirty South"

Happy 4th of July, one and all! Hope you're having a safe and fun 4th.

A bigger holiday in my area of town is the "Dirty 3rd in the Dirty South". I live on the south side of Marion, and every July 3rd South Cedar (connects with the street I live on) is practically shut down for a city wide "block party". The street is overrun with people for bbq and huge fireworks once the sun goes down. It all started I think with a house on the corner that had 3 bachelor guys living in it, plus several houses in the area with bachelor guys. Now the bachelors have moved on and no one lives in the house, but the party continues. Since they have moved on, the party wasn't quite as big (read, it hasn't lasted for days on end as in the past, and I'm not having to pick up beer cans from my front lawn), but it was still a pretty good display of fireworks tonight.

So, for those of you who plan far in advance, get out your calendars. You are all invited to my house, next year. We'll have a party of our own, enjoy our own fireworks, good bbq, maybe some homemade icecream, and the extravagance of that other party! :)

Who: You
What: July 3rd/4th Celebration
When: "Dirty 3rd"--July 3, 2009 mid afternoon-evening
Where: My house in the "Dirty South"
Bring: To be determined...bring some fireworks for playing with, and I'm sure we'll have a BBQ of some sort... we can figure out who will be responsible for what at a later date. You will need lawnchairs, bugspray, beverages of choice, pot-luck dish to contribute... I'll let you know later what exactly you'll need.

The big fireworks show usually starts at 9:30 or so, and lasts until 10:15.

Firm RSVP not necessary now, but would be appreciated so that I can communicate further details to those who are interested.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do plan far in advance, but usually not THAT far!

Cranefarm said...

Sounds like fun! We'll see if Mulberry will let us get away!
T & T
P.S. My second batch of cheese has got some good reviews from tasters. Thanks for having the recipe on your blog.