Monday, May 14, 2007

Happy Belated Mother's Day!

To all of you mother's/grandmother's/aunts out there, Happy Mother's Day. I hope you had a wonderful, relaxing day spent with those you love. Mom, Dad and I spent the evening out at the reservoir last night, after a quick trip to see Quinn, Julie and our massive garden.

I provided sausage and fish to grill, and a couple sides, and mom and dad added a salad and dessert to the meal. It was a beautiful evening, high water and a gorgeous sunset, plus some old Marion teaching friends happened to stop by.



It has been awhile since I posted, mainly because my life has been pretty busy lately. Since my last posting, I have finished up my A and P/Pathology course, at least for this semester--yippee! Next semester I'll be driving both Tuesday and Wednesday evenings for A and P/Pathology, but at least I get a break for a few months now. I'll be continuing my tutoring during the summer to see whether I can get ahead a bit there.



Last Friday I had my first paying massage "gig". I took a personal day and went to Remington schools (it was Teacher Appreciation week) and did massage all day for their teachers--paid for by their PTA group. All staff members were given the chance to sign up for a 10 min. chair massage. Although it was a bit physically tiring for me, I had a wonderful time. Carolan (my tutor) owns a massage clinic here in town that is affiliated with the hospital, and we had several conversations throughout the day about whether or not I will be joining the practice. It sounds as though in the next few weeks it will all begin to fall into place, and I can start working there in the evenings, weekends and this summer. The whole day was good for my soul--after an especially trying week.



This weekend was beautiful, I spent time on Sat. out at Julie and Quinn's working in the garden--we harvested some spinach, broccoli, and radishes, and went to a friend's cabin up by the lake to cut fresh asparagus. We also moved the baby chicks from one pen into the bigger pen with the bigger chickens--quite an experience for all involved! Now Julie and I will have to clean out our garden shed again, since we had been using it to keep the babies out of harms way.



I also spent a bit of time making some homemade granola, which turned out wonderfully, if I do say so myself! I ended up giving some to Mom for mother's day.



Erica's Sugar-Free Granola

4 cups oats

1/4 cup coconut

1 cup mixed dried fruit (I used dried blueberries, cranberries, cherries, and raisins)

1/4 cup slivered almonds

2 tsp. Splenda

1/2 tsp. cinnamon



Mix dry ingredients with 1/2 cup canola oil. Spread evenly on baking sheet. Bake at 300 degrees F, for 15 minutes, turning frequently. Watch carefully that the fruit doesn't burn!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't know you are doing massage! That's so cool; I admire you because I can't give a massage for more than two minutes before I tire out. But I sure do love getting them!

Anonymous said...

The granola sounds great--I'll have to try that one. Good to have a new entry to read and meditate on. Things sound good!
Maretta